Monday, April 6, 2009

Squash Soup

We've gotten a couple of quarts of frozen squash puree. It's sort of problematic because a quart of squash that can't easily be split up is too much for a meal as a side so I decided to explore some soup options.

I saw a recipe on Epicurious for a butternut squash soup with a chutney mixed in when it was done. I didn't have the stuff for the chutney but the soup sounded good although of course I had to modify that too. So by the time I was done, it was a different soup.



Butternut Squash Soup with Chimichurri Sauce and Creme Fraiche

Soup:

2 onions, diced
2 T butter
2 T oil
1 quart butternut squash puree
4 c chicken stockCheck Spelling
Salt to taste
zest and juice of one orange
4 cans of drained beans -- I used pinto and chickpeas but whatever you have would work

Cook onions in butter until soft. Add the squash and puree the onion pieces in a blender or food processor (my immersion blender seems to have died...the motor still goes but somehow the connection between the blender and the accessories seems to be missing. Very annoying!) Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 15 minutes.

To serve, top with chimichurri sauce (I imagine pesto or cilantro pesto would also be good) and a couple of spoonfuls of creme fraiche.

I think it would be just fine without the orange though as it goes well with the jalapeno and heat of the chimichurri sauce but without the chimichurri, the orange overwhelmed the other flavors.

We've got leftovers and we intend to enjoy them...

No comments: