Friday, April 3, 2009

Chickpea Pancake

Awhile ago, we had dinner with friends and they made a chickpea something or other, I never got the official name. But it was excellent and my friend said she got the recipe from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian." I've since bought that book, found the recipe, and tonight I made it for the first time. Mmmmm


Chickpea Pancake (Socca)
450 F

1 1/2 c lukewarm water
1 c chickpea flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper, more to taste
5-6 T extra virgin olive oil
1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced (optional but I used it)
1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves (optional -- I didn't use it because I didn't have it)

Pour water into a mixing bowl and sift the chickpea flour into it. Add the salt, pepper and 2 T olive oil and wisk together. Cover with a towel and allow to sit for a least a few minutes and up to 12 hours.

Preheat oven to 450. Put 2 T olive oil in a well-seasoned or nonstick 12" pizza pan or skillet. Caramelize the onions in the oil and then add the batter. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the pancake is firm and the edges are set. Preheat the broiler and brush the top of the socca with another tablespoon or two of oil.

Set the pancake a few inches from the broiler for a minute or two, just long enough to brown it spottily, but not long enough to color it evenly or burn it. Cut into wedges and serve.

No comments: