Monday, November 3, 2008

What do you do with lots and lots of cabbage?

We got three heads of savoy cabbage in the share on Wednesday and honestly, that's a daunting volume of cabbage. Who uses that much in a week? I knew I needed to get creative with it and my ultimate goal is to find a cabbage recipe that will convince Sam cabbage is edible. I didn't succeed in that mission but I did find things that Ben and I really liked. One is very quick and simple and the other is a bit of a pain to make but they are both very good.


Cabbage, Kielbasa, and White Bean Stew

2 small or 1 large head of savoy cabbage, shredded
1 large onion, diced
1/2 lb kielbasa, diced
2 cans of white beans, drained
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
Olive oil

Saute the kielbasa until browned, add the onion and cook until clear and soft. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 20 minutes.


The other recipe is Cabbage and Mushroom Galette with Horseradish Sauce from the Smitten Kitchen. I followed the filling recipe quite closely except I just used my own pie crust recipe in place of the one on the recipe. I have to admit I was somewhat doubtful about this recipe but I shouldn't have been. It was terrific...well for people who like vegetables. I served this to a friend that is not fond of either mushrooms or dill so this didn't go over as well with her. Oh, and the horseradish sauce was a nice touch and would be good on various types of meat as well.

Since I was making pie crust, I also made an apple galette for dessert and a pumpkin pie for good measure. Just what we needed as a follow up to Halloween, right?

No comments: