Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'm gone all next week

Sam too. That means that Ben will be on his own for meals and that generally means a steak with few or no sides or Chinese food so I'm trying to do something with almost everything we got in the share before I leave. Ben will pick up our share next Wed. and I expect that he will have eaten very little of it by the time we get back.

I took the pickling cucumbers and just cut them up and soaked them in a mix of water, salt, vinegar and fresh dill. Those are always tasty and he might eat them while I'm gone because there is absolutely no prep work necessary.

I also made bread with some of the squash.

Yellow Squash Bread
Based on KAF's Whole Grain Baking - Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread

350F
1 hr 10 minutes
1 large loaf

2 c whole wheat flour (1 used 1 c ww pastry flour, 1 c ww bread flour)
1 c bread flour
3/4 c sugar
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
1/4 t nutmeg
2 large eggs
3/4 c milk
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 1/2 c (12 3/8 oz ) shredded yellow squash (or zucchini)
1/2 c raisins
1/2 c chopped walnuts (I omitted)
1 T grated lemon zest (I didn't have it, subbed 1/8 t lemon extract)

Grease the pan. Mix the dry ingredients. Mix the wet ingredients. Mix them all together. bake for about 1 hour 10 minutes until tester comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes, remove from pan.


I simplified the instructions, check the book if you're looking for more detailed information.

Verdict: Very good, Sam and I both enjoyed it. Ben hasn't tried it yet.

No comments: