Friday, July 18, 2008

Braised Kohlrabi

I'm trying to use up as many vegetables as possible before Sam and I head out tomorrow so they won't go to waste. This recipe was included in the share newsletter so I gave it a try. The only change I made was to omit parsley since I don't have any.


Braised Kohlrabi

Braising kohlrabi in white wine really brings out the sweetness of this vegetable. Makes a wonderful accompaniment to grilled chicken or fish. Serves 4.

1.5 lb. kohlrabi, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces

2 garlic scapes, chopped into 1/4" pieces
2 TB butter
1.5 teaspoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried, crumbled)
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup white whine
chopped fresh parsley

Melt butter in a medium-sized skillet set over medium heat. Add the kohlrabi, scapes, tarragon, salt and pepper, and toss to coat with butter. Pour in white wine. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and cover. Continue to cook, adjusting heat to keep pan contents at a slow simmer, approximately 10-15 minutes, until slightly tender. Uncover and turn the heat up a bit. Cook until the kohlrabi is slightly colored. Remove from heat and transfer to serving dish. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.


Verdict: I really liked it, Ben called it so so, Sam took a no thank you bite and announced he didn't like it. I'm always surprised to find a vegetable dish I like that Ben doesn't as Ben is much less picky about food than I in general but now I've found two, this and parsnips.

No comments: