Friday, July 4, 2008

Cilantro pesto

We got cilantro in our share and I had a big bunch of it here already. I love the stuff but it's got a pretty short shelf life in its fresh form so I decided to see if I could make it into a pesto sauce that I could use in place of fresh cilantro.

Cilantro pesto

2 large bunches cilantro, large stems removed
4 jalepeno peppers
1 large red onion
1 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 c oil
1-2 tbsp lemon juice

Mix the first 4 ingredients in a food processor. Add oil until it reaches the desired texture. Add lemon juice to get desired flavor.

I used vegetable oil because I didn't want a strong flavor that might conflict with other dishes I might be making with the pesto. I froze most of the pesto in ice cube trays so I could have measured small amounts for use in soups, stews, pestos, etc.


Simple cilantro Salsa

1/2 cilantro pesto
1 large tomato, diced
1/2 c frozen corn

No comments: