Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Share and share again

Sweet storage carrots, Adirondack red and blue potatoes mixed with yellow, Daikon radish, shallots, radish sprouts, popcorn, frozen tomatoes, Butterworks Farm yogurt, cheese curds, Patchwork Farm Organic Rye Speckle Bread, and oyster and shiitake mushrooms.

Look at the size of that Daikon radish! It's nearly a foot long and as Ben said, it looks like a sex toy.

I tried the cheese curds immediately of course but they weren't squeaky fresh and didn't live up to my beloved fresh WI cheese curds. I can't seem to get them here despite the large number of cheese makers in the area. If they're not fresh they're just plain cheese which isn't bad, it just isn't curd.

I made an excellent local dinner tonight. Omlettes with last week's eggs, mushrooms, last week's local mozzarella, and shallots with a side of shredded fried potatoes (I tried my new mandolin and it rocked!) It's not such a unique dinner but it was one that everyone loved and I need to remember to do it more often.

I also made some carrot soup for tomorrow night, some coleslaw to use some of last week's cabbage (I've still got two small heads of cabbage left...I think the stuff is endless), and soaked the monster Daikon radish in salt water to pull a little of the sting out of it for a radish salad either tomorrow or Friday.

Oh, and some cranberry orange muffins to use the last of the frozen cranberries. Of course I modified it to include more local ingredients. I subbed half the flour for whole wheat pastry flour, added about 1/2 c of oatmeal, subbed 1/4 c honey for 1/4 sugar, and added some pumpkin I had in the freezer. Sam liked them a lot (I can't taste anything much because of my cold) and I froze them for his lunches.

No comments: