Saturday, March 1, 2008

Kitchen disaster day

It's one of those days where I decided to try new things and the new things? They all stunk.

Yellow Peas with Coconut

First off, I tried making a yellow peas with coconut dish based on a recipe from Epicurious although of course I had to make a bunch of modifications because I didn't want to run to the store. Subs were whole dried peas (from the share) for split peas, dried coconut for fresh, hot chili oil for the peppers. Maybe I should have realized there was a good reason there were no reviews for the recipe.

Rating: NEVER DO THIS AGAIN. Oh, and the peas were still hard after using the quick soak method (bring to a boil) and after that just letting them soak for another 7 hours. I cooked them for about 2 hours and they never really got to a point where I felt they were cooked. I think I'm just going to throw away the rest of these peas because I've now failed two out of two times with them. In hindsight the whole concept seems destined to fail. Ben thought the stuff was ok if he loaded it with hot sauce. Sam thought it was too spicy.


Oatmeal Cookies

Next on the failure agenda was oatmeal cookies. There are lots of recipes for them but I wanted to try out the whole wheat pastry flour, oats, and honey we've been getting in our share so I tried to make my own recipe based on what I saw on the other recipes. I used half honey and half brown sugar. Great flavor but I couldn't get them off the pan. We ate some by the spoonful (very gooey) then I had to soak the rest of the cookies down with water so I could scrape them off the pan.

Rating: Well, flavorwise they were really good but when food has to be scraped into the trash it is an experiment that shouldn't be repeated.


Cabbage and Radish Salad

Ben wanted a simple cabbage based salad so I ripped up some cabbage and shredded some radishes and tossed them together with balsamic vinagrette. The texture makes my teeth hurt. Ben liked it though. Sam spurned it and I don't blame him!



I think it might be time to order a pizza.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God, I HATE cooking when it doesn't turn out well!

Here's what I made on Sat:
cranberry, walnut, oatmeal cookies!
Smelled awesome, and highly rated by the actual consumers.

The trick - it's pre-made Hannaford store brand cookie dough, already formed into 12 separate lumps, found in the refrigeratered cookie dough area. Only $2.29 for twelve BIG cookies!

Fun! Easy! Distinctively different! Kid friendly, too (but not friendly to your kid due to walnuts...)