Saturday, March 8, 2008

Beware the unknown root vegetable

I'm not too up on the various types of root vegetables because I've not eaten a wide variety of them in the past and some are very similar in appearance to others. The share a week and a half ago listed five lbs of "rainbow roots" and when I recognized some beets, some radishes and rutabagas. I've had those "rutabagas" hanging around for a bit so I found a recipe for rutabagas and carrots that sounded pretty tasty and decided to make it this morning. The first couple of rutatagas I peeled and sliced looked normal but then I started on these:

So these aren't exactly rutabagas, they're valentine radishes! Oops! That means they gave us about 2 lbs of radishes in this share and all those monster daikon radishes in the most recent share...oh, and radish sprouts too.

Did I mention that I'm not overly fond of radishes?

I decided that since I'd already started my rutabaga and carrot purée I should just punt and see what I could come up with. I subbed a small cabbage (only one left of the five now) and some potatoes for the remainder of the rutabaga and you know? It tasted terrific.

Approximate recipe:

1/2 lb rutabages peeled, diced

2 small potatoes, diced

5 carrots, peeled, diced

3T butter

3 T brown sugar

1 tsp salt

(I don't know why blogger insists I double space that, sorry)

Simmer veggies about 30 minutes until tender. Puree in food processor (thank goodness I've got it back!) and add remaining ingredients.

Rating: Mmmmm

No comments: