Saturday, March 15, 2008

Cabbage but no corned beef

I made my mom's "Crowd Pleaser Cabbage" to go with dinner last night and you know? It really is a crowd pleaser. Easy too. How could it be bad when it has bacon?


Crowd Pleaser Cabbage

1 med head cabbage shredded
1 small onion
1 green or red bell pepper chopped
4 or more slices bacon chopped (I always use more)
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp seasoned salt

Fry bacon, drain on paper toweling. Leave the bacon grease in the skillet. Add onion and pepper. Saute just until tender. Add shredded cabbage, Tabasco, sugar, salt and bacon. Cover pan and cook on med heat just until cabbage is wilted.


A friend of ours joined us for dinner last night and he and Ben went back for seconds. I liked it a lot, Sam pushed it around the plate but may have eaten a couple of mouthfuls somewhere along the line and it seemed to distract him enough to eat the butternut squash and pork we had with it.

I rarely cook roasts of any type so I turned to the old classic "Betty Crocker Cookbook" for instructions. I've got to say that whenever I use that cookbook things work well. It doesn't have fancy and impressive foods but it's just terrific for the basics and it's presented in a more user friendly manner than the other classic, "Joy of Cooking."

I made the seasoning mix for pork roast that was caraway seeds, salt, and garlic powder and you know? It was really good.

And just leaving you with link about food from the New York Time about Michael Pollan's latest book which is very much in keeping with our local eating efforts.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I have a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook for basic recipes, and really like it a lot (plus, it's a binder and lies flat--why aren't ALL cookbooks designed like that?).

I really enjoy this blog. I hope to get back to cooking more real food.