Saturday, March 29, 2008

Beet and carrot slaw

This one came from our farm share newsletter. They've often got some good ideas for using lots of local ingredients.

Beet Carrot Slaw
4 servings

2 Beets, peeled
3 Carrots, peeled
1 c sprouts
1/4 c oil
1/4 c cider vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup or sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
Blue Ledge Chevre

Whisk together oil, vinegar, maple, garlic, salt and pepper to make a dressing. Grate beets into a small bowl. Grate carrots into another bowl, mix in sprouts. (Keeping them separate for now will preserve their colors.) Toss 1/2 the dressing with the beets, 1/2 with the carrot & sprouts. Set aside to marinate for a bit. Combine just before serving, with some of the goat cheese crumbled over the top.

I actually followed the recipe pretty much as it's listed above (unusual for me) although I served it over some regular salad greens just to increase the green factor.

Verdict: I liked it, I liked it a lot. I served it with the butternut risotta that was pretty mediocre so at least something I made was good...

No comments: