Saturday, March 29, 2008

Butternut squash risotto aka A waste of time

I hate when I make something that turns out bland and unremarkable. Not so awful that you want to spit it out and go out to eat but so unexceptional that it wasn't worth the effort because there isn't even a good story to go with it.

My neighbor made this and said she really liked it. It sounded promising or I wouldn't have been in the least bit tempted to make it.

I also had some squash, already cooked and pureed, from the share so at least I was able to eliminate the step of preparing the squash and it still wasn't worth the effort.


Butternut Squash Risotto

1 medium butternut squash, cooked and mashed
5-6 c homemade or low sodium broth (I had homemade)
2 T butter
1 T olive oil
4 shallots, finely diced
2 c arborio rice
1/2 c dry white wine
pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
salt and pepper
1 T chopped fresh rosemary (I had only dried)
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese

Stir constantly....that way I don't have to write that repeatedly

Heat stock to boiling. In another pan saute the shallots in one T butter, then add rice and cook for 5 minutes.

Add wine and heat until nearly absorbed. Add the squash and a c of broth and simmer until liquid is nearly absorbed. Continue adding broth by the ladle and simmering between until the rice is creamy and firm but not hard in the center, 15-20 minutes. Add nutmeg, salt, pepper, rosemary, parm and remaining butter.

Verdict: see above. No one wanted seconds, everyone ate without comment. Just a waste of time.

No comments: