Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Chocolate Beet Muffins

Yes, you read that correctly! I really try to use most of the things we get in the share prior to receiving the next share. Last night Ben broiled some pork chops and made a maple syrup reduction to put over them...excellent! While he was messing with that I made a turnip slaw subbing turnips for beets in this recipe. But I still had some beets left so I cooked those up and pureed them.

I thought I could make a beet muffin of some sort, something nice and red but when I started digging around the internet I didn't find any recipes for beet bread or beet muffins except for a recipe for Double Chocolate Beet Muffins.

Of course I didn't follow the recipe completely for several reasons. One reason for that is because it sounded a tad fussy for a muffin, then of course I didn't have all the ingredients, and lastly, I had more beets than I needed so I did my usual modifications. The recipe below shows what I actually used.

While they were baking a very unappetizing odor was coming from the oven but apparently it wasn't from the muffins. Ben later told me "Oh, that was the potato I dropped in the oven yesterday." I looked in the oven before I started and didn't see the potato but the ones we ate last night were tiny.


Chocolate Beet Muffins
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Makes 18 medium muffins and an addition 24 baby sized muffins but I don't like them overfilled because I put them in Sam's lunch so these are smallish muffins. Make them larger if you wish.

1 1/2 C. whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda
3/4 t. salt
6 T cocoa
1/2 C butter
1 c chocolate chips
1 1/4 c packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 c beet puree
1 c yogurt
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract

Grease muffin tins or line with paper cups
Melt the butter with the cocoa. Add to mixing bowl. Add beet puree, eggs, yogurt, brown sugar, and vanilla. Mix in the salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Fold in the remaining ingredients.

Place muffin pan in a preheated 375 oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Muffins are done when they spring back when touched lightly in the center. Don’t overbake!

Verdict: Excellent! All the way around. Three thumbs up (or six if we each do two)

1 comment:

Laura said...

I had a similiar "what do i do with these left over beets moment that lead me to discover the wonder of chocolate beet cupcakes. very similar recipe. my one fun addition: save a little bit of the beet puree and blend it with powdered sugar and butter to make a magenta frosting for the muffins/cupcakes.