Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Small Share


The share today has:
Parsnips
Carrots
Potatoes
Bread (yum, I've already dug into that loaf)
tofu
sunflower sprouts (yum again)
Sauerkraut
Applesauce (the stuff I make is much better)
popcorn

There is some good stuff but then there is tofu. Not my favorite. Anyone know if it's good to mash it or grind it up and and just add it to things for a blast of protein? I hate the texture and haven't found that freezing or frying changes it enough to make me happy but it really has no particular flavor. Would it be unnoticeable in other things?

Then sauerkraut...I really hope Ben loves the stuff. I'll give it another try and see if it's grown on me. Do you think there is any chance Sam will like it? Oh, and can you cook with it? I've seen it served with sausages and such but can't think of any other use right now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what you can tuck tofu into (other than the garbage can...) Can you trade it to some poor vegan for some cheese?

Anne V said...

Oh, I'd love to do that. I'll take cheese over tofu any day.

Renee said...

You can probably blend tofu into smoothies. Not that you're probably drinking many of those in the frozen Vermont winter.

Since tofu takes on the flavor of whatever it's cooked in, you can throw it into anything that has a good strong sauce (curry, chili, etc.) Or the garbage can, as beth suggested...

As for the sauerkraut...

Pork chops & sauerkraut--
*lay pork chops close together at bottom of casserole dish in which they *just* fit (salt & pepper to taste)
*completely cover pork chops in sauerkraut. Pour any remaining juice over the top.
*bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. I like the sauerkraut to be a little brown and crispy on top. With the sauerkraut holding in the moisture it is almost impossible to overcook the pork chops this way.
* serve with applesauce (of course.)

Kimberly said...

Have you ever tried baked tofu? I love the store-bought kind, but I haven't tried doing it.

I found a couple of recipes that look good:

http://www.recipezaar.com/81284
http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=38

Anne V said...

Unfortunately this tofu is the really soft stuff, so soft it hardly holds its own form. If we get firm tofu I'll try some of the various options presented here.