Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Grouse Rice Soup Rice Grouse Soup

It sounds weird either way I write it so maybe it'll just have to be Little birdie and Rice Soup


Ben went hunting this fall and got a bunch of grouse. He cleaned and skinned them but left them on the bone. I dug them out of the freezer a couple of days ago and baked them (w salt, thyme, pepper and olive oil) when I had the oven on for something else. This morning I deboned it. This is the meat from four grouse. Tastes like chicken breast.

I used the bones and some pepper corns, bayleaf, shallot bits and old celery to make stock as you can see here. Looks pretty ugly, doesn't it?



Little birdie and Rice Soup


Meat from 4 little grouse cooked and diced
grouse stock
large shallot, diced
carrots
celery
short grain brown rice


How much carrot and celery? This much:

Cook the rice in the stock until nearly done, add carrots, cook for about 10 minutes, add the rest and season as desired. I usually just add salt, white pepper, and thyme to taste.

It freezes well as long as you freeze it right away and don't leave it lying about for the rice to soak up all the broth.


Local ingredients are the grouse, carrots, and shallots.

Rating: Tough stuff. It tasted fine but those little birds were dry and tough despite being presented in soup form. I think they need to be cooked in the crock pot until they fall apart in order to make the texture pleasant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds very good, in a grousy sort of way. Can you hide tofu in it?

Anne V said...

I'm going to try it!