Monday, January 7, 2008

Crockpot test

I'm not a huge fan of the crockpot, they seem to make everything taste the same but in the interest of experimentation, I thought I'd give it a try.

I had a bunch of yellow peas, not split, from the farm share. I've never worked with whole peas but was told that should soak them over night prior to use so I got everything ready to go yesterday and tossed the soaked peas in there this morning. Did I mention that I'd tossed some frozen stuff in there? I had some frozen moose stock (doesn't everyone?) and my spinach was also frozen but I just tossed it is.


Andouille & Pea Stew

1 lb dried peas, soaked
1 lb Andouille Sausage, sliced
1 onion chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 large can diced Tomatoes
black pepper
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 box frozen chopped spinach
1 1/2 c moose stock

I cooked this for nearly 12 hours and guess what? The peas are still hard as rocks. I guess they need to be cooked before tossing them in here but wouldn't you think they'd cook IN the crockpot after all that time? Dang! I'd been expecting them to fall apart into split peas and turn into a thick mass, similar to pea soup but that's definitely not what's happened so far.

At this point I think I'll keep it cooking until tomorrow morning and see if the peas turn edible otherwise this needs to be categorized as a great disaster.

Update: The peas stayed hardish even with another 8 hours or more of cooking. They tasted fine but I hope they don't have, er, digestive side effects. The stuff tasted ver good overall but I think if I make something like this in the future I'll precook the legumes.

2 comments:

LisaTV said...

Dude, you had canned tomatoes in there and sausage. Sometimes beans will never soften up in the presence of salt. I once ran soaked beans in a crock pot (that had some salt containing ingredients in it) for 12 hours just to see if the beans EVER got soft. They didn't.

I think I'd pressure cook those babies next time to the texture you want and then use 'em.

Kimberly said...

I was just going to mention the same thing as Lisa--can't cook beans with salt!

And, I agree on the pressure cooker suggestion!