Saturday, July 20, 2019

Cherry Bounce

This isn't my recipe...source is here:  http://piranhabros.blogspot.com/2011/09/door-county-sour-cherries-2011-cherry.html?m=1   I picked some sour cherries today, specifically to make cherry bounce and I had to dig through my email to find the recipe, which is a time consuming thing but is also a bit of a blast from the past.  People I hadn't thought about in years!

Cherry bounce is excellent for sipping although people seem to be a little skeptical when I pull out jars of the stuff in different shapes and sizes. More for me!  The bite comes from the cherries that seem to soak up a lot of alcohol as they age.

I typically use Knob Creek Rye Whisky for bounce, but have also made it with vodka.  I prefer the whisky.  It's very simple to make.


Cherry Bounce

4 cups unpitted sour cherries
2 cups sugar

In a non reactive bowl add cherries and sugar and allow to macerate for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

After 30 minutes add this to a sauce pan and heat until just a simmer, always gently stirring or turning the cherries and the sugar has completely dissolved. Allow to cool.

Add this to 750 ml of rye, vodka, cognac, whatever you like, into a large non reactive jar of about 3 quarts or into 3 quart glass jars.

Put the jars in a cool, place, with no direct sunlight. Turn the jars when you remember to do so.  Age as long as you like....

No comments: