Sunday, November 11, 2018

Golden Syrup Sugar Cookies

I'm making pies for our friendsgiving dinner next weekend and am considering making a pecan pie, something I've never made but have eaten a couple of times.  I don't love the ones I've had, just like it, so I started looking for alternatives.  I found Smitten Kitchen's Pecan Pie and plan to give that a try as it promises less goo.  It calls for Golden Syrup, which I don't have. Turns out it's easy to make your own.  I just followed this recipe.

But what should I do with this stuff other than the pie?   A little digging and I found a recipe for cookies that use a token amount of it but also seemed a little intriguing because they sounded too good to be true.   I made them anyway....they taste like Biscoff cookies, best known (by me) as the cookies Delta hands out on their flights. 

Golden Syrup Sugar Cookies

350 F, 15-20  minutes

9 T butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 T golden syrup
1 T milk
1 1/2 c flour
1 t baking soda

Melt the butter, sugar, syrup and milk together.  Allow to cool to room temperature.  Sift in the flour and baking soda.  Roll into balls and flatten with a fork -- I made about 20 cookies and it took 15 minutes to bake.  I also used parchment paper but I don't know that it was necessary with all that butter. 

I didn't let the butter mixture cool enough before adding the flour so it was fairly fluid.  I let it cool longer and it didn't seem to cause any trouble. 

No comments: