Monday, February 8, 2010

Fattening week

The share gets replenished for the last time this session on Wednesday. Prior to Wed. we're eating nice fattening foods with fewer veggies. Opps!

The share:

Green Cabbage, 2 lbs Purple Top Turnips, 2 lbs Orange Carrots, 1 lb Valentine Radishes, Shoot/Claytonia Mix, Pesto (just basil and oil), 3 lbs Frozen Tomatoes, Elmore Mountain Bakery Flax Bread, Pa Pa Doodles Farm or Gopher Broke Farm Eggs, Dreuxmanna Crackers, Lazy Lady Oh My Heart Cheese


We have officially decided not to take this late winter share. We have more jams and jellies and various other oddball things than we can use. Instead, I'll try to attend the winter farmers market for the rest of the winter and I've signed up for a different farmshare for the string that does only vegetables and not the localvore items. Change is good, right? We'll still buy some of the localvore items we discovered though the share but only the ones that fit our lifestyle. It also costs about half as much. A big change but hey, I'm up for something new! The new share will start in the middle of June and run through October and then maybe we'll pick up a fall share with Pete's Greens again.

Superbowl Sunday: Chicken fricassee and salad. Of course we couldn't be snackless though so I also made guacamole and salsa which we ate with chips.

Monday: Sam's request day -- pizza of course.

Tuesday: Refried bean burritos with guacamole and salsa, salad.

Wednesday: Cheese and crackers from the share, Keilbasa and Share soup - not an official name but I made a soup from many of the vegetables we got in the share this week. Simple and tasty.

Kielbasa and Farm Share Soup

1/2 lb kielbasa, cut into small pieces
1 onion, diced
2 large turnips, diced
4 carrots, sliced
1/2 head cabbage, cut into small pieces
2-3 cups corn
Chicken stock
Salt
Pepper, lots of pepper to taste

Brown the Kielbasa. Add onions and cook until soft. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 45 minutes.

Thursday: Sam's school was doing a lunch for dinner program to show parents the types of fresh and local foods that are used for the school lunches. We were treated to a variety of foods. Shepards pie, soup, salad bar, fresh bread, apple crisp. It was all much better than any school lunch I've had before.


Friday: It was my birthday and I decided that I really wanted to go to the original Flatbreads in Waitsfield. Mmmm. Sam gets his love of pizza honestly. Alas, we got there at 5:00 and there was a 2.5-3 hour wait which we just couldn't do. We ended up going to a different restaurant where I got a mediocre burger and excellent sweet potato fries.

Saturday: More Julia! I made Boef Gourguignon from the Julia Child cookbook for Ben for an early Valentines Day dinner. I served it over egg noodles with a side salad. He made German Chocolate cake for me.

Ben loved the Boef Bourguignon and I thought it was....fine. It's just not the type of thing I love. It was easy but with all the separate steps, it made a ton of dishes. Oh, and I figured out why she has you boil bacon before frying it - it renders the fat without any pieces of other stuff in it so when I browned the meat in it, I could take the temperature way up. What a mess that made, even with a spatter screen! Post cooking cleaning was substantial.

No comments: