Thursday, October 22, 2009

Squash Spaetzle with Maple Glaze

We're still getting the share but it's the same stuff as last year so I haven't been taking the time to take pictures. This week we got three winter squashes and I baked them all up right away. Today I used the leftovers to make Bill Telepan's Squash Spaetzle with Maple Glaze.

I think I've only had spaetzle on one occasion and that was at a chain restaurant and honestly, it wasn't very good at all. But looking at the recipe I figured it couldn't be much different than pasta so I gave it a shot.

I followed the recipe for the spaetzle although of course I modified the serving mixture due to refrigerator contents. It was still good. I used leftover diced chicken and the pan drippings from the chicken in place of the bacon and used leftover squash with it.

Sam and I weren't thrilled with the glaze but Ben enjoyed it very much. Make of that what you will.

Squash Spaetzle with Maple Glaze

For the squash spaetzle:
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup milk
2/3 cup roasted butternut squash bottoms
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt

For the maple glaze:
2 ounces white wine vinegar
2 ounces white wine
2 ounces maple syrup

For bacon-squash-apple mixture (my modifications):
8 ounces diced chicken pieces
1/4 c chicken drippings
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cup cooked squash
1 apple, peeled and diced small

Go look at the website for pictures of the spaetzle being made

1. Mix together the eggs, yolk, and milk. Add the squash and blend together with a hand blender or in a blender until smooth. Whisk in flour and salt and let rest a few minutes.

2. Set up an ice water bath. Place a colander over a pot of lightly salted boiling water. Scoop in half of the mix and press through the holes into the water using a rubber spatula until all the mix is in. Remove colander and when the water returns to a boil, cook the spaetzle for one minute.

Note: don't fill the pan of boiling water too full or the bottom of the colander will end up in the water....

3. Remove spaetzle from the water into the ice bath and chill for a few minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. When fully chilled (5 to 7 minutes in the water) drain and drizzle with a little vegetable oil to hold.

For the Chicken-squash-apple mixture:
5. Mix all ingredients together until hot.
6. Serve - drizzle with glaze if you're so inclined.

The spaetzle was very tasty and I can see where it could easily be used in place of pasta in many things. The downside is that it is dish-intensive. Worth it? Sure, if you've got the time.

No comments: