Friday, December 5, 2008

Turkey leftovers

We had turkey left after Thanksgiving of course but within two days Ben had pretty much polished them off and expressed a desire for more. Turkeys were on sale after the holiday so I picked one up and cooked it the same day since it was fresh and I assumed it was leftover and unsold and was possibly on the way out.

Two turkeys in 4 days!

But now I've got real leftovers! I made stock from the carcasses and then made soup with some of the leftovers and the odds and ends I had from the share and other sources. Use the amount you've got floating around - my measurements are approximate



Turkey, Lentil and Barley Soup

1 onion, diced
oil
1 c dried lentils
1 c barley
2 large carrots, diced
6 small turnips, diced
1 bunch kale, chopped
turkey stock
white pepper
Water and herbs as needed

Saute onion. Add remaining ingredients. Cook until lentils and barley are done. Very good the next day.

Excellent stuff! Healthy too. I froze a bunch of it in individual containers for meals.

No comments: