Wednesday, November 12, 2008

November 12 Share

It's another big share!

Red kuri squash, russet potatoes, mixed beets, 2 stalks brussels sprouts, torpedo onions, bag mixed spinach and claytonia, pac choi, cilantro, sweet salad turnips, rolled oats from Quebec, Butterworks Farm whole-wheat pastry flour, Red Hen pain au levain, and a dozen eggs.

I don't think I've ever seen brussels sprouts sold on the stalk so they were fun to get that way but I immediately cut them off since refrigerator space is always at a premium.
I tossed the oats and whole wheat flour into the freezer since I've still got some from before. I need to remember to use the whole wheat pastry flour when I'm baking! I'm sure the green tomato cake I made yesterday would have survived it very well without being dry or overly heavy.
We had the spinach/claytonia mix last week and it's a very nice mix. I never even heard of claytonia until it showed up in the share but it's a sweet and tender green, excellent for salad. I much prefer this mix than the mesclan mix we've been getting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made the green tomato cake, butin muffin form. They were delicious. My husband (who is very suspect of things I put in recipes) asked me what kind they were. I told him apple spice muffins and he ate a lot of them!! I often cook with Granny Smith apples so I didn't get busted.

Anne V said...

Isn't it strange that you can't tell there are tomatoes in there at all? I'm amused that you to food your husband - I told Ben and Sam AFTER they tried them and talked about how good they were!

The first time I made the chocolate beet muffins I didn't bother to tell Sam there were beets in them. He loved them even after I told him. I guess once he tastes chocolate nothing else matters.