Sunday, July 13, 2008

Barley Salad Version Two

I love barley and there is a salad a like a lot but I wondered if I could make something I liked as much if not more. I think this has potential but do NOT add garlic. I did, and the flavor is too overwhelming but if it wasn't there, I think I'd love this salad totally and completely.


Basil and Barley Salad

1 c. dry barley, cooked and cooled
3/4 c chopped pecans or other nuts
1/3 c olive oil
1 c basil chiffonade
2 c frozen corn
1 large tomato diced (more would be better but I just had one)
Lemon juice - about 1/4 c or to taste
Salt to taste

Cook the pecans in the olive oil until lightly browned. Cool. Mix all the ingredients together. Do NOT add garlic, particularly two finely minced cloves even if they're small. It's possible that onion would be good in this.

3 comments:

LisaTV said...

Why would you ruin a wonderful barley salad with NUTS??!!! :-)

Kimberly said...

LOL, Lisa!

My question was, do you think pine nuts or peanuts would be an acceptable substitute? It seems like there is too much in there to just skip them.

How would a shallot do instead of the garlic?

Anne V said...

Kimberly I'm sure pine nuts would be terrific in here, probably better than the pecans but I had pecans and I used up most of my pine nuts in pesto. And I'm sure a shallot or red onion or no onion at all would be better than garlic. The nuts give flavor to the oil and that all soaks into the barley.