Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Not entirely local

But a nice variation from my usual banana bread recipe. I've tried just replacing the regular flour with whole wheat flour and haven't been happy with the results. A friend lent me her cookbook and this recipe is from King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking cookbook. I think I'll have to get this cookbook for myself.

Banana Muffins (or Bread)

350 degree oven
1 loaf or 12+ muffins
50 min for loaf, 18-25 for muffins

1/2 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c (about three medium) mashed overripe bananas
1/4 c honey
2 eggs
2 c whole wheat flour (I used ww pastry flour but it calls for regular ww flour)
1/2 c nuts or chocolate chips if desired

Mix until smooth.

Here is what the directions say to do for bread:

Put into pan and let rest at room temp for 10 min. (I didn't do this and it was fine). Bake until cake tester comes out clean - about 50 minutes. Then cover with foil and bake another 10-15 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes then turn onto a rack to cool completely.

For muffins: Bake until the tester comes out clean. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes and turn out onto cooling rack.

Yummmmm. These were very sweet.

I make the muffins small and freeze them for Sam's lunches and snacks.

1 comment:

PJH said...

Hi Anne - Go ahead, spring for the book - with the cost of food these days, better your should be baking your own, anyway! I recommend the Double Fudge Brownies - one of my personal favorites. Cheers! PJ Hamel, King Arthur Flour test baker