Monday, April 14, 2008

Tasty Glop

I just don't know what to call this recipe and it looks like glop -- a pile of relatively unappetizing stuff but still quite tasty. There must be a trick to recipe naming that I don't know.

My inspiration was the result have having lots of rutabagas in our last share. Oodles of them. Now, I could probably just have cooked them and mashed them with butter to make a side dish I could freeze for those nights I'm short a veggie but I wasn't in the mood to peel and cook them all. Instead I thought I'd try out my mandolin and do a small dice for the rutabagas and potatoes. It worked great for the rutabagas because they're hard but not as well for the potatoes.


Hamburger Rutabaga Potato Lentil Spinach Glop

1 lb hamburger
1 onion, diced
2 large rutabaga diced into 3/16" pieces
4 small potatoes diced into 3/16" pieces
1 c lentils
1 package dried french onion soup mix
1 package frozen spinach
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 tsp salt
Water as needed

Brown hamburger, add the onion and cook until soft. Add the remaining ingredients with enough water to nearly cover. Cook until the veggies are soft, approximately 30 minutes in the oven at 350, probably less if on the stove top.

Verdict:

Anne: Very tasty. This would probably make a good meat pie or dumpling filling but I'm too lazy to do that although I could do that with the leftovers I froze.

Sam: I want it for lunch tomorrow.

No comments: