Sunday, April 20, 2008

Edible tofu!

I did it! I've been mulling over the various suggestions for making the texture of tofu more enticing and since it took so long, I stuck the tofu in the freezer.

Oh yes, that was one of the first suggestions, wasn't it?

Today I thawed it, wrapped it in a cloth, and placed three five pound weights on top of it to squash out the excess moisture. Yes, I figured more was better!

When I took the weights off about an hour later, the tofu was really dry and firm. I cut it into 1/2" cubes or so and added a marinade made of soy sauce, ginger, oregano, maple syrup, sunflower oil, and chili garlic sauce.

Note for future: cook immediately after marinading the tofu. The moisture from the marinate softened the tofu to a certain extent and I think it sopped up the flavor immediately so it wasn't necessary for it to sit for any length of time.

I stir fried it with the baby bok choi from the share and that was dinner.

Verdict: I liked it as did Ben. Sam ate a hamburger before we ate because he was starving from busy afternoon.

No comments: