Saturday, February 16, 2008

A compote

Cranberry apple cider is nice but when it hits the 2 week mark, things get a little fermented. I don't think the alcohol level is enough to give me a nice little buzz so I decided to do a reduction and see what I came up with.

I came up with a nice intense apple flavor but I still needed to do something with it. I had some pork chops I was planning to cook for dinner so I decided that I'd make a compote. I have some frozen local cranberries from an earlier share and cranberry apple compote sounded good.


Cranberry apple compote

1 c of reduced apple cider (from about 1 quart of cider)
2 c cranberries
1 shallot, finely diced

Heat reduced apple cider and add the cranberries and shallots. Simmer until all the berries have popped.

Yes, that's it! I dumped the whole batch over the pork chops and served it with a wild rice pilaf and maple carrots.

Grade: Mmmmmm

No comments: