Sunday, November 19, 2017

Ina Garten's Pie Crust

I can't take credit for this one but I was seeking a pie crust recipe that I can make ahead and wouldn't be hard as a rock after spending a bit of time in the refrigerator.  It also needed to be flaky and easy to work with.  This Recipe qualified.

It makes a HUGE amount of pie crust, more than is needed for an 8" or 9" pie.  I made one and a third recipe and was able to make two 9" one crust pies, one 8" two crust pie, a tart crust, and some of my favorite piecrust pinwheels with the leftovers.  Plan accordingly unless you like your pie crust to be thick.   Of course, it never hurts to have a disk in the freezer....


Ingredients:

12 T very cold butter (I used frozen)
3 C flour
1 tsp salt
1 T sugar
1/3 c shortening
6 to 8 T of ice water

Cut the butter into cubes and put it back in the freezer/refrigerator.  Mix the flour, salt, and sugar in the food processor, then add the shortening and butter.  I mixed those in well before I turned on the machine.  Pulse 8-12 times until the butter is the size of peas, then with the machine running, add the ice water.  Mix until it begins to form a ball although it that never really happened before I was too worried about it being tough so I checked it frequently and when it began to hold together as curds I stopped the machine.  Shape into flat disks and refrigerate for about 30  minutes.


I made it a day ahead and it rolled out beautifully.  Three pies are heading over to the Fakesgiving dinner.   It's not really fake, just early!

No comments: