Friday, August 29, 2008

Roasted Pepper and Cherry Tomato Sauce

My neighbor gave me some tomato seedlings this spring and I planted them in what used to be one of my old flowerbeds that was so overgrown I pulled everything out. I gave the bed a nice dose of compost and planted the seedlings. Then we had rain, rain and more rain and then the tomato plants ate the tomato cages. I'm not kidding. They knocked them over and I can't find them any longer. One of the plants is growing up a lilac bush and that section is now over my head.

The most impressive plant is producing cherry tomatoes at a nice pace and today I picked a bunch of them and decided to try something a little different.


Roasted Pepper and Cherry Tomato Sauce

1 quart cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small onion, cut into pieces appropriate for roasting
4 cloves garlic peeled and cut in half
3 sweet peppers
olive oil
salt
pepper

Roast the peppers under the broilers until skins are bubbling and brown. Place peppers in a paper bag for 10 minutes. Remove, peel off skin and cut out core.

Meanwhile, put tomatoes, onion, & garlic in a roasting pan and toss with olive oil. Roast at 450 for about 20 minutes, checking and stirring frequently, until somewhat browned, soft and fragrant.

Combine with peppers, puree until smooth, add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over raviolli.


Verdict: Ben and I liked it a lot. Sam didn't.

No comments: