Wednesday, May 21, 2008

White Bean and Kielbasa Soup

I have greens, lots and lots of greens! Salads are good but we've also got to figure out what to do with the rest of the greens. I decided to make a soup to use the cress raab from the share since it was so bitter I couldn't see eating it in salad form.

White Bean and Kielbasa Soup

1 lb dry white beans, soaked and cooked
1/2 lb kielbasa
olive oil
1 large onion
Water
2 cubes beef bullion
3 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
2 large parsnips, peeled and diced
Large bunch of greens, chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and diced
sage
white pepper
thyme
salt

Slice the kielbasa into small pieces and brown in olive oil. Add the onion and cook until clear. Toss in the greens and cook until limp. Add water and the rest of the ingredients. Add herbs to taste.

I tried the raab in this stuff, I added some to the kielbasa, then tasted it and decided it was still way too bitter to use so I composted the rest of it. Why eat what tastes awful? I used the bok choi from the share in its place.

I'm sure you could add just about any other veggie you've got floating around the house too.

We all ate it and liked it. Alas, it's all gone.

No comments: